Inconceivable!

A place to muse, to write, to laugh and perchance to dream . . . just kidding. Here's your portal to the world as you *should* know it.

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Memorial Day



These are shots of the Buffalo Soldiers, who are a black contingent of the Rolling Thunder memorial.  They came down U Street to buzz the Black Civil War Memorial.  It was a pretty cool display.  I was more than a little choked up, thinking about the generations of my family that served this country.  I was particularly thinking about the generation that fought to be sent to war-- my great-grandfather wanted to go to World War I because he and his peers felt that their service would prove them worthy of "regular" citizenship.  Sent to the front lines, where they weren't trusted with guns, really-- just retrieving bodies and loading dangerous artillery, they proved their mettle with their bloodshed.  The French loved them for it, and erected a statue to them.  They were shunned when they came home-- not allowed to march in the victory parade and sometimes lynched in their uniforms.  My mother remarked on Sunday that they would be swollen with pride at Barack Obama.  I think they are really, really glad that their progeny is "true to our native land."  


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home